Honor your venison harvest this Independence Day with a backyard favorite from the Mathews Kitchen.
Take a pound of ground venison (or more, if you got it) and transform it into juicy Lucy-style quarter pounders with gouda cheese. Throw them on the fire next to a pack of mushrooms and onions to grill up while you mix the Fireworks sauce. Give the burgers a good char, without overcooking, then sandwich all the components between a sweet brioche bun.
Here’s to life, liberty and the pursuit of venison.
MAKES 4 BURGERS
- 1 pound of venison
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 block gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/8 tsp liquid Smoke
SAUTÉED MUSHROOMS + ONIONS
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Combine venison, liquid smoke, and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix together thoroughly. Separate into 8 patties.
- Place one patty on a cutting board and cover with slices of gouda cheese. Place second patty on top of the cheese and seal edges. You will be left with 4 completed burgers.
- In separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, BBQ sauce and liquid smoke to create Fireworks sauce.
- Place butter, onions, garlic and mushrooms onto tin foil. Curve the edges of tin foil to enclose the ingredients. Place enclosed ingredients on the grill. Grill until mixture is slightly browned and onions are translucent.
- Salt and pepper burgers liberally and place them on grill. Cook to desired doneness.
- Place finished burger and sautéed mushrooms and onions on brioche bun. Top with Firework sauce mix.