Turn a grueling hunt into a grilled feast with our favorite Elk Tacos.
This easy recipe is all about the spice rub – lay it on thick and let it rest while you prep the toppings. Then grill the peppers and elk sirloins, and slice em up thin.
Stuff your shells and savor the most delicious, hard-earned tacos you’ve ever tasted.
- 2 elk steaks
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper
- 1 red sweet bell pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of cabbage
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- In a small bowl add all spices and blend together.
- Place sirloin cuts on a cutting board and season with dry rub on both sides. Let the meat sit and marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Put the meat to the side and begin chopping up all of your taco ingredients: onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado and anything else you want to add. Cook your taco shells after your taco toppings are ready and set aside in a 250-degree oven to keep warm.
- Before putting the meat on the grill, be sure that you get your cast iron grill good and hot. Place meat on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes turning diagonally and cooking for another 3-4 minutes before turning over and cooking on the other side. This will give you great crisscross grill marks.
- Remove meat immediately and let rest for a few minutes before slicing in 1/4 inch slices across the grain.
- Place chopped elk meat in the corn shells and finish it off with the taco toppings.