Fire up the grill and get your sauce ready, it’s time to take this Mathews recipe and become a pitmaster in your own home! Take your BBQ game to the next level, and make this recipe apart of the monthly rotation.
- 3 pounds cubed venison
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tenderizing salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In 5 or 6-quart slow cooker, place onion, garlic, venison, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tenderizing salt and seasoned salt. Cover and cook on high for 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon strips until tender but not crispy. Remove bacon from skillet and chop into 1/2-inch pieces. After 1 or 2 hours, add bacon, ketchup, molasses and brown sugar to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for an additional 8 to 9 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions in olive oil about 5 minutes. Add green pepper and mushrooms and continue to sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Shred the venison and return to pot with the other ingredients.
- Serve on a pretzel bun with your favorite coleslaw recipe.