by Mathews Staff
No trophy case is more impressive than a freezer full of hard-earned meat. Honor your harvest with this new favorite from Mathews HQ.
Simply sear some backstrap, slice it thin and pile it high on grilled bread slathered in this thick and tangy blue cheese sauce.
Look for more recipes coming soon and check out pg. 40 in the Mathews Annual for Venison Mantato.
Makes 12 appetizers
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 ounce (1/4 cup) crumbled blue cheese
2 green onions, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 pound venison backstrap
12 thick slices country-style bread (from a narrow loaf)
Additional blue cheese crumbles
1. In a blender or food processor, combine all the sauce ingredients; process until smooth.
2. Heat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil; brush with oil.
3. Season venison with salt and pepper; place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Broil the steak for about 3 minutes on each side (depending on how thick it is); remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, arrange bread slices on another baking sheet; brush with olive oil. Broil until golden and crisp. Thinly slice steak.
6. Spoon some blue cheese sauce on one side of each piece of toasted bread; top with 2 or 3 slices of steak. Top with another small spoonful of the sauce and sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese and chives.
Sign up to be the first to know about Mathews insights, special offers, and new products.